Mike Terry’s information (below) will help you determine if you are eligible to join our Mayflower Project. The reason we follow these rules is to assure that we have the best information available on Mayflower Pilgrim lineage research.
As our announcement explained, we can only do our research using both DNA tests and General Society approved lines. If you are showing DNA links to a Mayflower Pilgrim, you will need to prove your lineage by joining our society in order to be a part of our research. That is the only way we can guarantee your lineage is correct. It would make no sense to allow anyone who sends a pedigree chart to join because anyone can create a pedigree chart. After all, your DNA could link to a Pilgrims’ family member who did not sail on the mayflower. It is important to conduct our research in this way so that both FTDNA and GSMD can continue to have the standards and proof necessary to ensure the information we offer is accurate.
To become a Mayflower Society member, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Join page here.
If you have not done a DNA test, email Mike Terry at email@example.com and he will advise you concerning the appropriate DNA test for you and how to get the Mayflower Project discount.
If you have already tested at FTDNA or done a third party transfer of DNA results from another company to FTDNA, please log onto your FTDNA account and filter for Mayflower and submit the join request, supply Mike with your GSMD member number, and he will add you to the project.
If you have tested at Ancestry or 23 & Me, upload your test results to FTDNA. Instructions to do this can be found at FTDNA or email Mike Terry firstname.lastname@example.org and he will send you the link to do the transfer. Log onto your new FTDNA account and filter for Mayflower and submit the join request, supply Mike with your GSMD member number and he will add you to the project.
Joining the project means you will be a part of the research after doing a DNA test.
Mike Terry's notes on how to join: Please note you have to make the request to join the Mayflower DNA project by logging onto your Family Tree DNA account to do the join request. Otherwise, I cannot process the request and I will generally deny the join request. If you are a male or female no matter what DNA test you have taken and you are a GSMD member you can join the project BY LOGGING ONTO YOUR FTDNA ACCOUNT and under manage projects filter for MAYFLOWER.
The Mayflower DNA project is an "Official Project of General Society of Mayflower Descendants (GSMD)."
You must meet the following criteria for approval of a join request for the Mayflower DNA Project:
1) The person requesting approval of a join request for the Mayflower DNA Project will be required to provide their GSMD member number so it can be validated.
2) The person requesting approval of a join request for the Mayflower DNA Project has a close family member who has a GSMD member number and they provide the GSMD number so it can be validated.
3) If the person requesting approval of a join request for the Mayflower DNA Project is not a member of the GSMD they will be required to provide the project administrators with a sourced pedigree and/or a GEDCOM file showing they have a proven direct Mayflower line.
4) In each case for 1, 2 and 3 above a valid FTDNA DNA Kit number must be a part of the Join request."
- Mike Terry, Mayflower DNA Project Administrator (email@example.com) and Governor General Lea Sinclair Filson