Named First Street and now known as Leyden Street, the houses were built from the shore up to the base of Burial Hill where the original fort building was once located and is now the site of the National Pilgrim Memorial Meetinghouse.
Dr. Samuel Fuller came on the Mayflower in 1620, and his wife Bridget came on the ship Anne in 1623. He was the Colony's doctor and was a church deacon.
In modern-day Plymouth, we can see the plaque on the location where Dr. Samuel Fuller originally settled and view the difference between his home and the fort, which was located at the top of Leyden Street where the Meetinghouse now stands. The Mayflower Pilgrims held Christian services and other colony events including meetings of the Plymouth General Court at the fort from 1621 until 1648.
The original fort used by the Mayflower Pilgrims.
In this photograph looking down Leyden Street from the Meetinghouse, you can see down the street to the harbor where the Pilgrims first landed. Dr. Samuel Fuller's lot is the third on the left.
A recreation of the original 17th century village can be visited at Plimoth Plantation.
For further reading on Dr. Samuel Fuller, visit Caleb Johnson's website here.