- The week started with several tours to Chicago’s Newberry Library (https://www.newberry.org/) and a New Historian Orientation.
- Training and Information Day on Friday, September 7th included a Historians Training Meeting, Treasurer and Governor Informational Session and the Governor General’s Forum. Topics covered in the forum included Membership Growth Initiatives, new Membership Management software iMIS, Fundraising for the Meetinghouse and a lively discussion regarding Member Society suggestions and practices.
All attendees of the Governor General Forum are eligible to purchase a “2018 GG Forum” bar to add to their national medal. Contact Insignia Chair Deb Yingst with questions at Insignia@theMayflowerSociety.org.
- The Illinois Mayflower Society hosted wonderful themed events including a “Fascinator Friday” luncheon where descendants donned their best fascinators and a fun Welcome Reception with entertainment by the Chicago Bound Band.
- The weekend’s special guests included Jim Brewster of FTDNA, who presented, “Identifying DNA Signatures of the Mayflower Pilgrims” for attendees on Friday evening and Dr. David Weidner, Executive Director of Pilgrim Monument and Provincetown Museum, who presented Provincetown plans for 2020 and announced exclusive offers to GSMD members interested in PMPM memberships.
Click here to sign in for the promo code for your Pilgrim Monument and Provincetown Museum discount code!
- The General Board of Assistants Meeting was called to order at 9 AM on Saturday, September 8th, 2018. The first half of the day included Reports of the Executive Committee, a Report of the Executive Director and a Report of the Awards Chair, Virginia Mucciaccio. The second half included the rest of the Committee Reports, presentation of the 2018-2019 Budget by TG Liz Gaudreau, proposed amendments to the Constitution and Bylaws and concluded with 2019-2020 Preview of Plans. *Coming soon! - GBOA 2018 Meeting Minutes.*
- Governor General George Garmany shared with the GBOA preview photos of the William Bradford ‘One Small Candle’ sculpture to be placed in the Mayflower Society House garden as part of the GSMD 2020 Commemoration.
- Governor General George Garmany introduced special guest Congressman Bill Foster, Representative of the 11th District of Illinois, who addressed the crowd of DGGs and AGs. Congressman Foster is shepherding GSMD’s coin bill through Congress and told our group he is confident that we will have a coin! Stay tuned for information on how you can support this effort.
- Captain General Jeff Stark announced the beginning of having local Mayflower Guides to assist attendees at GBOA and Congress Meetings. Special thanks to Illinois Juniors for participating as the first Mayflower Guides during the GBOA Meeting 2018: Anna Hyde, Clair Hyde, Matthew Hyde, and Lizzy Hyde.
- The Governor General’s Distinguished Service Award was presented (as a major surprise!) to Awards Chair, Mayflower enthusiast and long-time GSMD member Virginia Mucciaccio. Ginny, also known by the Mayflower Society as ‘Mama Mooch’ was formerly in the position of GSMD Member-At-Large and currently serves as the Executive Secretary for the Massachusetts Mayflower Society.
- Governor General George Garmany and Assistant Governor General, Mayflower Quarterly Magazine Editor and Mayflower Journal Interim Editor Susan Roser announced future plans for Society publications. GSMD has decided to discontinue the publication of the Mayflower Journal. The Mayflower Quarterly Magazine will expand to include scholarly submissions and become the Society’s primary publication. Mayflower Journal Fall 2018 will be the final issue of the Mayflower Journal.
If you have any questions regarding your subscription or would like to receive the final issue, please contact Membership@theMayflowerSociety.org.
If you would like to order a back issue, please contact Sales@theMayflowerSociety.org.
- The Society of Mayflower Descendants in the State of California announced that the Mayflower Society has been granted float participant in the Tournament of Roses 131st Rose Parade on January 1, 2020 in Pasadena, California. Read more here: http://camayflower.org/index.php/activities/
- Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants motioned to host the GBOA 2021 in Massachusetts in order to celebrate the 400th Anniversary of the original Thanksgiving celebration in Plymouth and the Society of Mayflower Descendants in Michigan motioned to host GBOA 2022. Both were approved.
- Mayflower Descendants enjoyed cocktail hour, photographs with the Governor General, a steak dinner and a moving performance of “Spoon River Anthology” by Paddy and Jon Lynn and Patti Ecker at the General Board of Assistants Banquet Saturday evening.
- The busy weekend concluded with a Chicago River Architecture Cruise and brunch, where Mayflower descendants enjoyed a delicious brunch buffet while cruising the Chicago River with a knowledgeable guide.
A huge thank you to the Society of Mayflower Descendants in the State of Illinois for hosting such a memorable GBOA. Click here to view the GBOA 2018 Photo Album.
Mark your calendar now to join us in Denver, Colorado next year in September 2019!