News & Events
This past week, a group of undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in UMass-Boston's Summer Field School at the Fiske Center for Archaeological Research have been doing surveys and shovel tests on the Mayflower Society House property. Directed by Dr. David Landon and Dr. Christa Beranek, the Field School is now in its 5th year in Plymouth, and is part of an ongoing effort to locate as much evidence of the 17th Century community as possible.
For an annual donation of $250 to GSMD, a Family Society will receive GSMD marketing, discounts, and other opportunities including the following:
- GSMD will make the Family Society a part of its public relations and marketing efforts
- Display a link on GSMD’s website to each Family Society's website
- Designate a meeting time during the GSMD meeting schedule at Congress
- Communicate and market news of Family Societies in Mayflower Quarterly Magazine
- GSMD will forward information to members about Family Society membership
- Family Societies will receive flyers for GSMD membership to include in their new member packets
- A GSMD endorsement symbol will be given to Family Society to display on their website and promotional materials
Sample of endorsement:
If your family society is interested in joining, please contact Membership Services at email@example.com or 508.746.3188.
Dr. Jeremy Dupertuis Bangs was named as a Knight of the Order of Oranje-Nassau by King Willem-Alexander. On "Koningsdag", the King's Birthday celebration in The Netherlands on April 27th, the Mayor of Leiden, Henri Lenferink, presented Dr. Bangs with this knighthood (called in Dutch an "onderscheiding" in the rank of "ridder").
Sandra Sauers, the Houston Colony Educational Chairman of Texas Society of Mayflower Descendants, sent a fantastic idea to the GSMD Junior Committee this week about what they have done to promote Pilgrims in schools. The Pilgrim Mini Museum Box is the perfect addition to a classroom where the students know about Thanksgiving - but do not have too much knowledge of the Pilgrims themselves.