Are you a Mayflower descendant?
In 1620, a brave group of 102 men, women and children sailed across the Atlantic on the Mayflower, searching for a life of religious and civil freedom. To honor Pilgrim ancestors and to keep their story alive, the General Society of Mayflower Descendants was created in 1897. It is the goal of the Mayflower Society to join together people who share the Pilgrims’ lineage and to carry on the memory of our Pilgrim ancestors.
Any person able to document their descent from one or more of the Mayflower Pilgrims is eligible to apply for membership to the Mayflower Society.
Why become a member?
When you join GSMD, you will apply through the Member Society you would like to join. Each Member Society holds their own local meetings and activities where members can connect and socialize with other Mayflower descendants, as well as share family stories, pay tribute to the Pilgrims, and educate others about their shared history.
Along with the benefits of your Member Society, your GSMD membership includes:
- Official GSMD confirmation of your lineage and official GSMD Membership Certificate.
- Storage of your family’s lineage papers in our vault.
- Invitations to Pilgrim-related events.
- Exclusive Members Only area of our website with reports from our committees, updates from our Governor General, and your own personal profile.
- The Mayflower Quarterly Magazine delivered to your mailbox quarterly.
- Discounted subscription to the Mayflower Journal.
- Free electronic access to both the Magazine and the Journal.
- GSMD Scholarships for Junior Mayflower members.
- Free tours of the historic Mayflower Society House (built by the great-grandson of Pilgrim Edward Winslow in 1754).
- Free admission to the GSMD Research Library.
- Discounted subscription to NEHGS website AmericanAncestors.org.
- Information about Family Society partners.
- Triennial Congress to gather with other descendants.
- First to know about new GSMD publications.
- Opportunities to serve in a variety of officer positions locally and nationally.
- Members Only insignia, gifts and grave markers.
- GSMD organized trips to Pilgrim sites in the US, UK, and Holland.
… and much more!
How do I join?
Membership is handled through our 53 Member Societies. To become an approved member of GSMD, your first step is to contact one of the Member Societies and work with the historian of that Society on your application.
Click here for more information on how to join.
Click here for a list of Member Society contacts.
If you would like to make an inquiry about membership, please email Membership Services Manager Georgi Hess at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 508-746-3188.