General Society of Mayflower Descendants
Founded in 1897, the Mayflower Society, or General Society of Mayflower Descendants (GSMD), is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Our national headquarters is on the campus of the historic Mayflower Society House in downtown Plymouth, Massachusetts. Membership requires proof of lineage from one of the passengers who traveled to America on the Mayflower in 1620. Our educational mission includes telling the story of the Pilgrims as well as maintaining the highest standards possible for genealogy research into the lineage of the Pilgrims. We operate a genealogy research library at our Plymouth headquarters and publish the GSMD Silver Books, a series of genealogy books that follow the descendants of the Mayflower passengers.
GSMD Mission Statement
The General Society of Mayflower Descendants is committed to research on the lineal descent of the Mayflower Pilgrims and education about the Pilgrims who traveled aboard the Mayflower in 1620. The Society provides education and understanding of why the Mayflower Pilgrims were important, how they shaped western civilization, and what their 1620 voyage means today and its impact on the world.
GSMD Vision Statement
As the leading organization perpetuating the memory of the 1620 Mayflower Pilgrims through excellence in research and family history.
GSMD Statement of Values
- Preserve and maintain the highest genealogical standards proving the lineal descent from the 1620 Mayflower Pilgrims.
- Engage and promote new Pilgrim scholarship, research, and publications.
- Instill a passion for history and awareness of the Mayflower Compact and the Pilgrim story through education.
- Support our Member Societies and encourage the establishment of new Member Societies which share our mission and vision and promote the interests common to all.
- Protect, preserve, and interpret our historic properties.