Job Opportunities with the General Society of Mayflower Descendants
The General Society of Mayflower Descendants provides education and understanding of why the Pilgrims were important, how they shaped western civilization, and what their 1620 voyage means today. As the preeminent authority on the legacy of the Pilgrims, GSMD plays a crucial role when it comes to increasing public awareness of the importance of the Pilgrims' lives and legacies, as well as maintaining the highest standards possible for genealogy research into the lineage of the Pilgrims.
Along with our 12 Executive Committee members, the officers of our 53 Member Societies, and many dedicated volunteers that fill a myriad of roles, GSMD’s mission is supported by a growing staff at our national headquarters in Plymouth, MA.
Genealogist: Lineage Verification
The General Society of Mayflower Descendants (GSMD) has an opening in the Department of Genealogy and Research Services at its Plymouth headquarters. This position will work as part of a team to process membership applications, by evaluating lineage information and documentation for completeness, validity, and correctness. Experience in professional genealogical research and methods is key to this role.
Required Qualifications & Skills:
- Two or more years' professional experience in genealogical research.
- Demonstrates proven experience resolving conflicting evidence and same name problems.
- Experience working with original and compiled sources, both original hard copy and digital documents, as well as knowledge of advanced internet search techniques, including wildcard usage.
- Demonstrates strong writing skills; able to clearly explain complex research problems and provide recommendations for further research.
- Demonstrates advanced proficiency in word processing (Microsoft Word & Adobe PDF) software, and on- and off-line database and lineage software.
- Attention to detail; experience in proofing and editing, as well as excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Genealogy accreditation or degree in related field.
- Neat printing.
- Experience with lineage society applications a plus.